Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Late Night Mutterings

So I've been trying to cook with more whole foods lately.  Odd for me since McDonald's is one of my top-rated restaurants but this weird thing happens when you have kids.  It's ok for me to stuff myself full of fat and preservatives....but I feel kinda crappy doing that to my boys.

We've been getting our organic produce delivered every other week for over a year now and I love it!  Granted it's forced me to try foods I may not otherwise have bought, but as it turns out, kale's pretty friggen good! (I make a mean veggie kale soup!)

I tried making my own bread for the first time the other day.  I'm going to have to play around with that one a little more.  Bread tasted darn good but it barely rose so kinda looks more like bread biscotti.  I'm gonna tweak it a bit and see if I can do better next time.

Finally, I made my own chicken stock.  We had bought one of those whole chicken meal deals from the grocery store and saved the leftovers so I threw those with carrots, celery, onion, a bay leaf and parsley in my slow cooker and left it overnight.  Turned out pretty darn good I have to say although I'd forgotten that I hadn't salted it so it tasted kinda gross when I first tried it.  Ah well, cuts our sodium intake!

No comments:

Post a Comment